Thursday, February 26, 2009

when 2D is better

My first video game machine was an Atari 800, and every game I grew up loving on that system was in 2D: River Raid, PAC-MAN, Joust, Q-Bert, and so many more.

I'm a social gamer. My preference in games is an experience that is super easy to pickup and play with simple controls. I'd rather play a game that anyone else is willing to try.

This is why my newest iPhone game, LightRunner, is set from a top-down 2D style. That, and this view gives clarity to the whole situation. You can clearly see where the other players are, and where the opportunities for escape are. The 3D view is flashy, and makes for better screenshots, but detracts from the strategic play. Without the HUD on a 3D game, you're knee-jerk reacting to what's in front of you.

1 comment:

Moksha Gren said...

Oh cool...another John haney game that I can't play. I'll just go over here and kick some rocks around while th ecool kids play their Lightrunner. [sigh]

But yes, 2D has a certain quality that 3D will never replicate. I love my 3D graphics...but 3D Ms Pacman is just not the same. And I love my Ms Pacman.