Wednesday, December 9, 2009

CryptoQuote Daily Challenge up again!


It has been a long few weeks since my website host performed an "upgrade". Unfortunately this upgrade broke the scripts which run on my website to make the CryptoQuote Daily Challenge work at all.

I fixed this problem... then ran into another where I could not access the database. Before the upgrade, I used a web-tool to update the database. After the upgrade, this tool is not available. I raised a ticket with my host, but have seen no updates or progress.

Instead, I wrote my own tool to be able to update the database, and just now pushed the first quote, an apology to my users.

I truly appreciate your patience, and especially the kind tone of the emails about this problem.

I'm glad that this has become a part of the routine for many of you, and I have some exciting features planned for CryptoQuote in the next few months.

Thanks again for your patience and support.

Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Flashlight 2.0

Flashlight 2.0 is live on the App Store today, and I'm super excited. This is a great update with full customization, something I've been hoping to do for many months.

Unfortunately, there is a problem with the app. I left in a "debug flag" in the app which resets the screens every time you open the app to their standard set. This means any customization you do will be gone the next time you open Flashlight. I'm very sorry this got out into the wild. I'm embarrassed and I will make no excuses. I do, however, wish that I could test the "Release" build that I send to Apple on my own phone before it goes out on the App Store. That could have been the one last test where I realized I'd made this mistake...

As a second stroke of misfortune, I have lost all of my source code for this version. Somehow my computer and Dropbox got confused and my whole directory of this code was never added to Dropbox, and when I renamed folders, I got an old version from when I first started thinking about Flashlight 2.0.
UPDATE: Due to some serious confusion, the source code was tucked away in a different folder on my MacBook! I have submitted the update (2.0.1) to Apple and hope it will be on the store in about a week.

So, to fix what should have been a one-line, five-minute change, I need to redo all of the work for the entire 2.0. I hope that you will bear with me as it may take a few weeks to finish (again), and then a week or two for Apple to approve it for the App Store.

Thank you for your patience.